Jan 19, 2010

MexAPLN meeting: January 2010

The second meeting of the MexAPLN was way better than the first one. The meeting was at the IDS offices. IDS is one of the two oldest sw dev services businesses in Mexico. Its building has a beautiful view of the 4th and 5th highest mountains in all of the American Continent.

This being the second session it was obviously very org related and the main subjects were:
  • Alejandor Escamilla from Software Guru reported that they received over 400 responses from a member's blog posted on its website
  • 12 people (including myself) attended the meeting, 5 of them first-time. One person actually drove 180 miles one-way just to be there and headed back to his city of origin, Morelia, the next morning! ...and I used to think my 60-mile drive was significant.
  • We talked about what we need to do to be accepted as an actual chapter, about sponsorship and about logistics on meetings.
  • I reported that VersionOne showed a lot of enthusiasm about becoming an sponsor once we are ready for it
  • Main topic was Chartering. Since we were running out of time we decided to do some off-line work, discussing via web-conference to get more done and by the next meeting at which time we'll give it thumbs-up or down.
  • We decided to use Google groups instead of Yahoo groups as one of our comm tools.
  • Next meeting is at the offices or Software Guru.
Too much material for one session, of course but there was good progress.

Once this is done we'll have the foundation and a good start to become a relevant chapter.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

*** Important Note:
Paul Culling from VersionOne wrote a comment on the original posting, on which I used the workd "demands". My response is: Paul, I apologize if the word created some interpretation. One of the definitions of "demand" is "the requirement of work". The communication through Cesar has been quite clear and I informed at the meeting that VersionOne will be happy to become a sponsor, but first we have to prove that we are an active community of practitioners of agile and lean, and that is what is the requirement of work we have to do to earn your sponsorship.
I edited the posting in hope that you agree with the new wording, otherwise let me know and I'll be happy to rephrase it.
~Masa K Maeda

1 comment:

  1. The use of the word 'demand' is funny. Cesar had asked me if VersionOne could throw some support your way as you guys got started and of course I said we would. I guess it isn't a bad thing if we are known for 'demanding' to support user groups! Looking forward to hearing more about your group.

    Paul Culling
    VersionOne's 'community guy'.

    ReplyDelete